Wednesday, July 21, 2010

False Alarm on Shirley Street


A (nother) EVERGREEN NOVA SCOTIA EXCLUSIVE.....

By AVA JANE, staff cub reporter

A good reporter is never off duty.

I was relaxing by watching a movie, Tuesday evening, after a hard day playing with Nikola, when I heard sirens and went out on Shirley Street, wearing my blanket - and saw flashing lights of a firetruck and men in yellow suits.

Very soon the truck and the men disappeared.

Next morning, I am on the way to my bus, to go to work.

What do I see, but a young man with a cute black and white and brown dog, (which I subsequently learned was called "Lucy"), sitting on the steps of the house where the fire truck had been.

He seemed a friendly type, so I asked him a few questions about the fire truck.

He said he wasn't aware that the house alarm was directly wired to the fire department and that setting off his house alarm by mistake would bring the truck and fireman in all their gear.

The fire captain was nice - he just warned him and didn't fine him $500.

Lucky man !

I got a nice surprise too - when the fire captain left in his big fire truck that night, I waved and the crew smiled and honked the horn !

No comments:

Post a Comment